As I said in a previous post, the Hungry Ghost month is full of performances of puppet shows and Chinese opera all around Penang. Just about every night of the month there’s a Chinese opera somewhere in the city. Many of these performers are brought in by the government from Taiwan. I photographed two operas. The first was at the Lim Jetty and the other on the mainland near Butterworth. They were both visually stunning but the performers at Butterworth were much more open to being photographed. They even allowed me backstage during the performance. It was really fun to photograph this amazing event. A special thanks goes out to my friend Hariman for setting up the Butterworth shoot.
Here are a few shots from both event and then at the bottom of the full Photoshelter gallery for you to enjoy if you have the time.
- Money to Take Their Photo: Trophy Hunter Photography - June 21, 2017
- Comprehensive review: Think Tank Photo – Airport Takeoff V2 Photo Bag - June 20, 2017
- 6 Ways to Improve your Photography Portfolio: The Goldilocks Principle - June 7, 2017
- Feb 2017 Varanasi Lighting Workshop - April 12, 2017
- A Tribute to Phyllis Brandon, My Mother - March 24, 2017
- ADHD and How I cope with it. - February 23, 2017
- Vlog #15 - February 6, 2017
- Vlog 14 – Python! - January 30, 2017
- Matt Brandon Vlog 13: Photographing Iconic Scenes - January 26, 2017
- Matt Brandon Vlog 12: Fujifilm GFX Review and more. - January 19, 2017
Learn more about these fantastic workshop opportunities:
- Kashmir Valley Photo Trek and Workshop - June 8- 15, 2015
- Photography Tour of Bhutan - Sept. 18 - Oct. 10, 2015