As I said in a previous post, the Hungry Ghost month is full of performances of puppet shows and Chinese opera all around Penang. Just about every night of the month there’s a Chinese opera somewhere in the city. Many of these performers are brought in by the government from Taiwan. I photographed two operas. The first was at the Lim Jetty and the other on the mainland near Butterworth. They were both visually stunning but the performers at Butterworth were much more open to being photographed. They even allowed me backstage during the performance. It was really fun to photograph this amazing event. A special thanks goes out to my friend Hariman for setting up the Butterworth shoot.
Here are a few shots from both event and then at the bottom of the full Photoshelter gallery for you to enjoy if you have the time.
- ADHD and How I cope with it. - February 23, 2017
- Vlog #15 - February 6, 2017
- Vlog 14 – Python! - January 30, 2017
- Matt Brandon Vlog 13: Photographing Iconic Scenes - January 26, 2017
- Matt Brandon Vlog 12: Fujifilm GFX Review and more. - January 19, 2017
- Matt Brandon Video Log #11 - January 13, 2017
- The Coal Haulers of Varanasi, India & the Fuji GFX - December 27, 2016
- A Requiem to a Rickshaw Puller - December 8, 2016
- Saffron Coffee Shoot - November 24, 2016
- Two New ebooks by Damien Lovegrove - October 25, 2016
Learn more about these fantastic workshop opportunities:
- Kashmir Valley Photo Trek and Workshop - June 8- 15, 2015
- Photography Tour of Bhutan - Sept. 18 - Oct. 10, 2015