Day two of Thaipusam. I was up at 4 am to catch the action on Waterfall Road. Waterfall Road is one of the busiest spots during this festival. Long lines of people making their way to the temple to deposit their kavadis of milk. I brought the Fujifilm X-E2 thinking it would do well with the constant movement of people I would encounter. After all, it certainly did well in the Philippines last month. The difference is that when I used the X-E2’s AF-C (Auto Focus Continuous) in the Philippines it was in daylight. This time it was in the wee hours of the morning with very little light and it failed..badly. Almost every frame was out of focus. I didn’t just shoot in AF-C I also shot in AS-S (single) and tried to capture scenes on the move. No luck. In either mode the camera often hunted for the focus and more-often-than-not missed. There was very few people standing around waiting for their photo to be taken, so I had to change the way I photographed, or rather what I photographed. I decided to photograph for mood and less action. Here the X-E2 did relatively well. But I have to admit, I was very frustrated that I had to change my method of shooting to suit my camera rather than the camera meeting my needs.
I write these words for two reasons. One is that if you have been reading my blog lately you might have gotten the impression the Fujifilm X-E2 could do no wrong. I want you to understand that this is not the case. It is just a camera and it has it limitations and today I found them. I also wrote this to encourage you to know that everyone has bad days. I don’t think it was just the camera that was off today. I think I was off my game as well. But take heart, often times you can find at least one or two jewels in the midst of the pile of coal.
- Rajasthan in Black & White - February 22, 2015
- Indian Summers: Another Look - February 16, 2015
- MindShift Gear Giveaway: We have a winner! - February 10, 2015
- Indian Summers to Premier Feb 15th in UK. - February 2, 2015
- MindShift Gear Giveaway! - January 26, 2015
- Take a hike: photo trek with Matt Brandon through Kashmir - January 14, 2015
- Planning your 2015 Photo Workshop schedule. - January 13, 2015
- First Look: Fujinon XF 16-55 mm f/2.8 R LM WR - January 6, 2015
- A Christmas Greeting from Our Home to Yours - December 23, 2014
- Review: Zhongyi Lens Turbo Adapters ver II for Fuji X mount cameras (FX) - December 17, 2014
Learn more about these fantastic workshop opportunities:
- Kashmir Valley Photo Trek and Workshop - June 8- 15, 2015
- Photography Tour of Bhutan - Sept. 18 - Oct. 10, 2015