The Absurdity of Working For Free!

The Absurdity of Working For Free!
Below Stephen Colbert brings a satirical, yet true to the point look at media professionals working for free. I’ve done it, and more than likely you’ve done it as well. But, it is never a good idea. Yet, CNN last month that laid off 50 reporters citing technological efficiencies and user generated content as the catalysts, aka “iReporters”. Give me a break? This harkens back to discussions we have had here and on Twitter about young photographers giving away their services in hope of jump-starting their careers. All it really does is provide cheap media for the client and lower the bar a professionalism.
Enjoy this report and feel free to chime in.
Admin note: Apparently this video feed is block in some countries. Odd that living in Malaysia I can view it, when others in England and Australia cannot. For this I apologize.

FaceBook Comments

comments

About The Author

Matt Brandon

Matt is a Malaysia based humanitarian and travel photographer. Well known as a photographer and international workshop instructor, Matt’s images have been used by business and organizations around the globe. Matt also on the design board for Think Tank Photo, a camera bag manufacturer. In 2013 Matt founded the On Field Media Project to train the staff of non-profits to use appropriate technology to produce timely as well as quality images.

10 Comments

1. Chris Plante

I foresee 50 new workshops available soon…

• Matt Brandon

lol! I think you might be right!

2. André

Unfortunately, the video is not available for us Aussies 🙁

3. Wayne Rowe

Unavailable for us Brits too.

• admin

Wayne and André- I am sorry. I have reloaded it hope that might help. But my guess is it is block by your country. Odd that I can see it here in Malaysia. So sorry. It was good.

4. Heber Vega

This is hilarious Matt! What a great and ingenious video.
    Anyway, the topic behind is a sad but true story… and we are all part of it. And I’d add that’s difficult to reverse it.

5. Ruud van Ruitenbeek

I cannot view this one either: “this video is not available in your location” (UK)

6. Ron Nickel

I’m in Canada and I can’t view this video.  Would love to see it!